After your loved one has died there are a multitude of tasks to be done. Any power of attorney ends at your loved one’s death, so you can only do these tasks if you are a spouse or other designated agent, such as an executor. Even then, you may need to get letters of administration, representation, or testamentary from probate court.
- If you are the spouse, partner, or next of kin and your loved one died without a will, you will need to get a letter of administration or representation.
- If there is a will, the executor of the will must get a letter of testamentary.
Most of these tasks are necessary to take care of your loved one’s remains and affairs, but some need to be done to protect you and other beneficiaries. Your emotional state may make doing these tasks more difficult, even to the point of being overwhelming; remember it is okay to ask for help.
If the death is expected, you have the opportunity to plan ahead for how you will complete these tasks. To reduce the stress after your loved one’s death, it is important to use this opportunity before their death to make plans on how each of them will be done. At this point, you could also assign as many of these tasks as possible to those close to you or get them done before their death, such as arranging and paying for a funeral and burial. After your loved one has died, you can put the established plans in motion.
When death is unexpected, you will likely be unprepared and may not be aware of many of the necessary steps. If there was no chance to plan, this can be a daunting task.
Here is a list that you, your family, and the executor can refer to so you know what needs to be done and can help you organize these tasks during this difficult time. Make copies of the checklist and spread out the tasks if you can. Keep the list in a convenient place so that you can check off tasks to keep track of what you have done.
- 10 Things To Do After A Death. everplans website. Accessed: May 22, 2020.
- After a Death Occurs: A Checklist. Legal Voice website.Updated: October 2017. Accessed: May 22, 2020.
- How To Activate Your Support Network. everplans website. Accessed: May 13, 2020.
- Immediate Steps to Take When a Loved One Dies. United Way website. Accessed: May 20, 2020.
- Julien S. What to Do When a Loved One Dies. AARP website. Accessed: May 22, 2020.
- Morrow A. Your To-Do List After a Loved One Dies. Updated: November 13, 2019. Accessed: May 26, 2020.
- The Most Common Household Issues After A Death. everplans website. Accessed: May 27, 2020.
- Three Important Things To Do Before A Funeral. everplans website. Accessed: May 27, 2020.
- What to do when a loved one dies. Consumer Reports website. Published: October 2012. Accessed: May 27, 2020.
- What to do when a loved one dies. Dennett, Craig and Pate website. Accessed: May 27, 2020.
- What to Do When Someone Dies: A Checklist. Ever Loved website.Updated April 2018. Accessed May 27, 2020.